Our Other networks
Latest topics
» Need a tree and rock modeller to help with Mesogea
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 pm by valisarius

» Hello guys problems on the home frount!
Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 am by runestyr

» Need someone to turn custom weapon model .obj and .tga files into skyrim-ready nifs.
Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:20 am by DiGiTAL ZOMBiE

» The Races of Skyrim
Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:52 am by DiGiTAL ZOMBiE

» Happy New Year! :D
Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:36 am by DiGiTAL ZOMBiE

» DiGiTAL ZOMBiES's W.i.P - 3d Artist
Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:22 pm by DiGiTAL ZOMBiE

» Shadow mere horse texture
Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 pm by DiGiTAL ZOMBiE

» Smithing skill +10 (warning, lots of photos)
Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:20 am by runestyr

» Karl Pilkington in Skyrim
Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 pm by Ultiman

Imersion: Guard voices+

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Imersion: Guard voices+

Post  Ultiman on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:25 pm

We will begin by writing some dialog for the guards you can submit the dialog to me but id prefer you just post it as a reply to this Thread.

What we need:
1.To find out how and when the different guards speak, Waked near, Clicked on, Attacked, In combat, Approaching to because of bounty reasons.(This list will be bigger)
2.When a guard approaches you he usually has several options to pick from and will speak in relation to the option you pick. we need to find out all these options and create alternate dialog for these.
3.Dialog Writers.
4.Voice Actors.

1. The process will go as follows and checked off as it is completed:
2. Find out if it is possible to do this with out the ck.
3. Find out how the guards are given their voice weather it is randomly generated from a list of "guard actors". or each guard has a voice assigned to it.
4. Find out all types of situations dialog is used in.
5. Write up a collection of dialog for each type situation (All dialog submitted must have a tag resembling the situation its used in).
6. Make sure each new guard has a full set of dialog.
7. Generate a list (like the spread sheet below) of all the dialog and order it per guard until we have a few completed.
8. Get some voice actors in and submit the dialog to them.
9. Gather the voices up and order them (This will happen over time as we complete the sets).
depending on what has to be done to get these voices in game this is all we can do for now.

We can go ahead and start writing dialog as it will not hurt not knowing all the things we need to, it just means later on we will need too add to them.
so feel free to start submitting some Razz

This is a simple spreadsheet i quickly drew up it is not going to work like it is but it is a start, and will give an idea on how things might work.

Last edited by Ultiman on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Ultiman
The Watcher
The Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Imersion: Guard voices+

Post  runestyr on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:55 am

Ultiman wrote:We will begin by writing some dialog for the guards you can submit the dialog to me but id prefer you just post it as a reply to this Thread.

I'd like to see this for the most-used companions too, but guards are a great place to start. We probably need the CS/CK to confirm #2-5, but to get the writers started here are some situations (item #4) that will need written dialog. The lines might be the same, but we need different voices for some races (like nords and elves/mer who sound different than the rest). We'd need multiple lines for most of these situations, per voice set, for variety:

GENERIC
4a. player's faction or status (unknown, dragonborn, thane of the city, has a bounty, bard, Winterhold college member, etc)
There's not much point in having a secret society if you tell everyone, so I personally am against every guard knowing if you're in the Thieves' Guild or Dark Brotherhood.
4b. non-faction comments (guard's life story, weather, current events, no lollygagging, etc)
4c. basic guard dialog (local directions, etc) if you actually talk to the guard

COMBAT
4b1a. start combat (melee, missile, spell)
4b1b. alert nearby allies
COMBAT - HITS (we'd need at least 5 different lines for each of these situations, for variety, but some could be grunts and groans; references to health means the guard's health, i.e. the guard is confident at 100% heath but getting worried below 50% health)
4b2a. hit target (melee, missile, spell) w/ high health
4b2b. hit target (melee, missile, spell) w/ low health
4b3a. hit by opponent w/ high health
4b3b. hit by opponent w/ low health
4b3c. surrender/flee

DETECTION/SNEAKING
4c1. I thought I heard/saw something (basically warning the player but no change in behavior)
4c2. I definitely heard/saw something, increasing alert level and reorienting my attention
4c3. I am moving toward and searching for the sneaking opponent
4c4a. found sneaking hostile/opponent (this broadcast is different from the "start combat" broadcast)
4c4b. found sneaking neutral/ally (sneaking in a city but not committing a crime; or if you sneak up to Aela the Huntress she says "don't think about it")

I know I'm forgetting a lot of things, but this adds to the list and I have a texture to make.

Edit: I should have mentioned, your spreadsheet is blank on my browser, so I hope I didn't just redo something you did already.

runestyr
The Watcher
The Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultiman on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:55 am

Thanks for letting me know about the spreadsheet I completely forgot to enable shearing on it...

Ultiman
The Watcher
The Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Manbreakfast on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:31 am

Since I brought this topic up originally I am definitely up for taking part. Between me and my friend we can mimic exactly any "Farkas" or "Vilkas" type voices as well as the vast majority of Male Breton's (the James woods style shop keepers as well as the priests) Guard wise I can mimic the original voice as well as generate two more in separate tones and accents and my friend has two more on top of that. I can also mimic the high pitched whiny drunks in the towns of Skyrim. natually more orcs argonians and khajiit are needed because they only have one voice actor per gender those can also be performed

So to put in a list...

"Vilkas" type (many nords smooth and foreign)
"Farkas" type (many nords deep grungy)
"Breton" type (riverwood shopkeeper)
"Drunk" type (my favorite drinking buddy!)
"Guard" type (4 versions)
"Khajiit" type (4 versions)
"Orc" type (4 versions)
"Argonian" (4 versions)

total at current time possible by me: 8 impersonations
12 new voices
20 total

(this number may change as I test more voices)

Manbreakfast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultiman on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:28 am

wow impressive manb. im working on compiling a complete list of the types of situations guards have unique dialog.

Ultiman
The Watcher
The Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  runestyr on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:49 am

Wow, that's some great range, and even better that you're bringing a friend to extend the variety.

I remembered a couple of other situation that wasn't in my list before. As a ranged-combat kind of guy, I create one of these situations whenever I can:

4b4. frustrated (AI has only melee weapon, no missile or spells, and has no path to reach the target; for example, "You come down here right now!" or "We can wait." or "Ooohh you're making me so mad!")
4c5. reduced alert level ("Must have been nothing." or "Hmm, I've got to cut back on the mead, I'm starting to imagine things.")

Time permitting, I think it would be fun to script in some "easter egg" conversations that play once, something like this one I heard in a T2 mission:

Guard1: Look at that sky. That rain's gonna hit us within the hour, I tell you.
Guard2: How do you know?
Guard1: By the way the clouds are moving. I read a book on meteorology.
Guard2: What's, uh, meta...metapology?
Guard1: Meteorology. It's the scientific study of the atmosphere.
Guard2: Yeah, I'm scared of spiders. Have you been in the sewers? There's some really big ones down there!
Guard1: Not utmost fear, you ice-brain. Atmosphere is the gaseous envelope that surrounds a planet...you know, THE AIR?
Guard2: How can you study the air? You can't even see it!
Guard1: Never mind.
Guard2: Why are you always treating me like I'm stupid or something?

runestyr
The Watcher
The Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultiman on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:48 am

i have tried to find the subtitles for all the guard voices but had no luck. looks like the only way to do it before the ck is to manually go into the game put subtitles on and screen shot every time a guard talks. will be time consuming at the very least lol. hopefully i ca find some time in the next few days to do this. or the ck could come out tomorrow and save the the hassle lol.

Ultiman
The Watcher
The Watcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Manbreakfast on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:49 pm

I am all for more easter egg banter and would love to write some in Very Happy after the basic voice additions that would be a priority for me.

Manbreakfast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top